Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bushwalking


We went bushwalking at Binna Burra in the Gold Coast hinterland over the weekend. It was the most beautiful country I've seen in a long time. Massive waterfalls, enormous trees, craggy escarpments - it was just such lovely country.

But the highlight for me was the 16.6km hike that took our family of 5 (including our 7 year old) 8 hours. Sure we saw all these things, but it was the other things I saw that really stood out for me:
  • I saw a family, who despite bickering over what TV shows they watch or who gets to sit where on the couch, actually love being together.
  • I saw our kids helping each other out over the boulders and through the muddy sections, guiding the footsteps of those walking behind them.
  • I saw us as parents learning new things from our kids and new things about our kids.
  • I saw our quietest child, who has the least faith in himself, emerge as the leader, setting the pace and taking charge.
  • I saw a family who found all sorts of things to talk about - faith, life, dreams and love.

If I could trade those 3 days in for any other 3 days in this life I wouldn't do it. They were some of the most precious days I have ever lived. It goes to show that it's not the big holidays that necessarily leave the biggest memories, because it's all about the quality of those memories.

2 comments:

  1. this is beautiful rach,
    it's so special to hear your reflections here and think of you, pete and the kids sharing this time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel.. you just had me crying. That is so beautifully written... I am glad you had that special time with your family! Selena

    ReplyDelete