Monday, July 13, 2009

Appliances on the Blink


Have you heard that old saying, "Bad things come in3's."?

Our dishwasher stopped heating water before the last school holidays, so we've been washing up by hand ever since. It's only really started bugging me this week, so I've decided to finally pay someone to get it fixed. And of course, that bills going to be in the hundreds of dollars.

And the last couple of weeks the washing machine's been making a horribly loud (and suspicious) whooshing noise when it spins. Sometimes I feel like it's almost cheaper to throw the machine out and just buy a new one, and with two appliances on the blink, the costs are mounting. Could I have another appliance about to die too?

I don't really believe in coincidences, any more than I believe in horoscopes. I think you can create a coincidence out of just about any circumstance, and most of the time, I put things down to God's timing rather than some random alignment of the stars.

But is there any truth in that old saying?

I think it's more likely that we're so busy looking for 3 things to go wrong, that we create problems for ourselves. It's the old idea of having a 'glass half full' view on life. I hope that's how it is, because with the repair bills for both appliances due this week, if anything else breaks down, we'll be doing without it for quite some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment