Saturday, June 13, 2009

School Holiday Survival Guide


Well the holidays are getting very close, and won't we all be glad to have a break from packing all those lunches and scrabbling around for clean uniforms. I can almost hear the fighting now.

I have 3 essential elements to my holiday survival guide, so if you're new to school holidays, I hope you find this helpful.

  1. Napisan - holiday peace comes with a large bucket of Napisan to soak away the excesses of the school term. My kids are magnets for stains, including that tell-tale grungy grey stain where the shirt hangs over their shorts. Napisan has a way of restoring my motherly pride as a good housekeeper.
  2. Fine weather - I know you can't control the weather, but fine weather is definitely a blessing when it comes to the holidays. Good holidays are dependent on exhausted children and the best way I've found to make that happen is to keep the kids moving. Whether it's riding to the park and playing soccer, hiking in the bush, going to the beach (if it's not too cold) or exploring the city sights, being outside is definitely the best way to wear the kids out.
  3. Boring movies - most holiday nights in our family are movie nights, where the kids are allowed to watch a movie after bath time. Over the years I've discovered that the more they've watched a movie, the quicker they fall asleep, particularly if part to of the plan has been implemented. Watching Toy Story or High School Musical one more time guarantees an early bedtime for the kids and a few hours of peace for the grown ups. What more could you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment