Monday, May 4, 2009

The Blockbuster Principle


Have you noticed how easy it is to forget to take the DVDs back to the video shop? My family are pretty good with the overnight ones and even the weeklies, but it's those 3-day new releases that seem to get left on the top of the TV cabinet.

In the midst of late fees, I've discovered what I call The Blockbuster Principle. I think this principle sums up the art of admitting wrong and making restitution really well. You see, if you sneak your late DVD into Blockbuster and slide it into the return shute, then slink away, when you next go to borrow a movie you'll find they've slapped a late fee on your account which you have to pay before you can rent again. But if you go in with your late movie and tell them you're sorry its late and ask them how much you owe, they're usually so shocked they'll either waive the late fee or halve it if you pay it then and there.

I know your asking how this could be an earth shattering principle that has any impact beyond the DVD shelves, but doesn't this show that when we're willing to face up to our mistakes and the consequences that come with them, the impact is usually less severe than if we try to hide our guilt. Everyday my kids make mistakes or do something wrong that impacts on other people - that's human nature. But as I keep reminding them, part of growing up is learning to own up to our behaviour, say sorry and face the consequences.

If you test my principle next time you have a late DVD, let me know how it goes. But most importantly, show your kids how it goes. You might just save them from a long afternoon in the principal's office.

1 comment:

  1. That one works for me at the video shop too. The shock factor really works!! I've also shocked the people at Woolies - when I returned back from the carpark with a cucumber that had been sitting at the back of my trolley unnoticed and unpaid for! It was one of those "think twice" situations. I really wanted to get home, but I also wanted to model the sort of person I wanted my kids to be. So we all went back - I still had to pay for it, but the satisfaction in being different in the eyes of the staff was worth it and I hope the kids took it on. I'll probably never know - but I'm doing my bit...

    ReplyDelete